Saturday, February 28, 2009

T.I.A.








South Africa is probably my favorite place I've visited yet! We were able to spend 5 whole days, and filled them with every possible thing we could! South Africa is a lot like the U.S. in that they speak English, there are similar stores and services, and there are a lot of rich people, but there is a lot bigger gap between the rich and the poor. If you stay in Cape Town it's pretty much the equivalent to an east coast beach town, but just outside is miles of townships and slums.
My favorite experience was when a friend and I went for a day to help an organization called Operation Hunger. Operation Hunger is designed to help the people who live in the townships around Cape Town, which are basically shanty towns that cover miles and miles and govern themselves. We spent a day playing with the kids because most of them don't have a school to go to, and feeding hungry people with things we'd bought. The kids looked a lot younger than they were, we actually met girls that were our age who had kids and nothing to do all day long. It was really interesting to see. Everyone was so friendly, and they said that they accept donations of anything because they need everything. So if you have anything extra send it to...... The picture above is one of the little girls I made friends with through my neon orange nail polish, I wish I had brought a lot to give away because all of the girls I've run into want me to paint their nails!
The countryside was filled with vineyards and wild animal reserves. A couple of friends and I went on a cycling in the winelands tour where you ride bikes and go from vineyard to vineyard tasting wine. It was a blast, but by the end we couldn't really ride the bikes too well. We also climbed a mountain that overlooks the Southern Cape called Table Mountain. One of the hardest hikes I have EVEr done in my life. It was straight up for 3 hours!!! It was worth it when we reached the top though, we could see all of Cape Town and the coast. We also went Great White shark diving and saw HUGE sharks, but we didn't get to go in the cage because the weather got bad. SO I have a free Shark Dive in S.A. for next time, which will be soon!!!!(if I move there like I plan to) The nightlife was awesome fun, and if I ever need models for my collections, I'm going to South Africa to find them. Full of Beautiful People, dont know how that happens.
OK! I think that's it, but I'll add if I remember anything Cool!

1 comment:

michelle said...

Love the update and the pictures! Keep blogging. Bryan is slightly jealous seeing you with other kids. He decided since they're poor that you must have given them clothes, uhh, I think we've been watching too many documentaries about Africa.